Re: [OM] Photographs from Dead Centre

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographs from Dead Centre
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 18:35:02 +0100
Thanks for those lovely scenes, Brian.  They evoke clear wintry and sunlit
memories.

I have a couple of suggestions for your compositions:

In the first shot, 1622, the scene is half-empty, half-occupied; the space to
the right is bare, whereas the left-hand edge has parts of the graves left out.
 It’s as if you didn’t really know what to capture.  I suggest that you make
the bare space dominant, or the graves area, but not half and half.

In the last shot, 1643, you have almost the same sort of composition: there’s a
grave in the middle, a part grave on the left and a lonely and rather
uninteresting small tree sitting solitarily in the right-hand half.  I should
be tempted to lose the mausoleum on the left, make the middle grave dominant,
but put it in the bottom left third of the picture, allowing the shot scene to
wander away into the distance up the hillside a little.  I have taken the
liberty of copying your shot and cropping it in 2 ways:

Chris