Re: [OM] IMG: Moon rock, Apollo capsule

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Moon rock, Apollo capsule
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 08:10:59 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> Apollo command module:
>> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/13886176374/>
>>

>That's too clean - was that a spare, or is it an actual mission capsule?
>Every time I see one of those, and look inside, I get claustrophobic
>thinking about the fact that three guys spent 4-1/2 days wedged in that
>little cone just to get to the Moon, and then the same on the way back.

     You could also move around in the LEM (Lunar Excursion Module) which is
docked to the point of the cone, which gave you the opportunity to stretch out.
 After the craft was boosted out of earth orbit, the command and service module
would detach, turn around, and then attach to the LEM.  The service module had
fuel and oxygen stores, as well as the fuel and booster for entering (braking)
and later exiting lunar orbit.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson