Re: [OM] FaceBook, was:iMessage Settings [was OT tablet question

Subject: Re: [OM] FaceBook, was:iMessage Settings [was OT tablet question
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 10:08:49 -0500
> Of course they will. This is merely mice flicking last-second fingers at the
> hawk about to scoop them up for brunch.

I learned some stuff, yesterday, that would make your toes curl. I'm
not at legal liberty to say what, but suffice to say that a person
could figure out more about you in 3 minutes than you know about
yourself. Based on what I learned, we immediately implemented security
changes to the house as well as a few online things. And here we were,
with already robust security measures in place, as vulnerable as if
there were none at all. More changes to come.

As to financial issues, the banks have some protections for us. You
might lose some wealth, and a whole lot of time, but fraud is a little
different than having your castle stormed. We do the stuff to protect
against on-line cyber crimes, but every day there is a new way to get
ripped off. Personal security is a whole nuther ball game. When you
have a reasonable expectation of physical security breeches (with
intent for harm), you take these things very seriously.

Just a side note on this. Something to stew on. A female student who
is under specific threat of assault is not allowed to carry ANY form
of PPD (personal protection device) as it would be considered a weapon
on the school campus. They literally cannot even store them in the
vehicle. If their vehicle is parked and locked up, it is still subject
to search and immediate expulsion for the student if found. What makes
it worse is that once the school is made aware of the situation, they
have a reasonable expectation to find a "weapon" in her possession. Do
the math. (fortunately, a person can still get creative).

Needless to say, pretending to live in the Christmas Islands isn't
going to help much. Nor is a whistle.

AG Schnozz