Re: [OM] FaceBook, was:iMessage Settings [was OT tablet question]

Subject: Re: [OM] FaceBook, was:iMessage Settings [was OT tablet question]
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 16:20:09 +0100
More details here:
http://gigaom.com/2013/04/23/data-center-rivals-facebook-and-google-pump-700m-in-new-construction-into-iowa/
and here
http://media.wix.com/ugd/240c0c_6286645d856b32b91fa444043a6e2cff.pdf

Facebook formally announced the construction of a new data
center<http://newsroom.fb.com/News/606/A-New-Data-Center-for-Iowa> in
Altoona, Iowa. Construction on the first phase will begin this summer and
your Facebook likes and photos will start traveling over the data center in
late 2014 according to Tom Furlong, vice president of site operations at
Facebook.

He said that while newspaper reports placed the value of the
center<http://gigaom.com/2013/04/22/data-centers-are-getting-more-sophisticated-so-why-arent-our-metrics-keeping-up/>
at
$1 billion to $1.5 billion, he’s unsure where those figures came from. This
first phase will cost $300 million and result in a 476,000 square-foot data
center. That square footage includes both offices and floor space.