Re: [OM] [OT] California

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] California
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 18:28:25 -0700
On the east side of the Sierras, just north on 395 (from the road from
Yosemite) in Lee Vining, are two places I can recommend:

Murphey's is a reasonably priced motel, with clean rooms. They're here:
http://www.murpheysyosemite.com/ My wife and I got a room there easily in
June, but it may well have been early in the month on a year where the road
to Yosemite wasn't open yet.

Also in Lee Vining is Nicely's restaurant. It is nothing fancy, but the
food was very good, prices reasonable and the place has been around a long
while. Mono Lake will be (almost literally) just across the highway.

I'd also consider Sequoia National Park, which isn't all that far south of
Yosemite. The world's largest Sequoia, and lots of hiking in SNP.

One point of warning, Boris: the bears in the Sierras are not the cute and
cuddly, nearly domesticated black bears one finds on the east coast. Be
very careful hiking around, and beware of leaving food in vehicles (even
one closed and locked).