Re: [OM] Bikes, (was: (OM) Computers)

Subject: Re: [OM] Bikes, (was: (OM) Computers)
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 19:30:01 +0000
You're lucky to be able to do that. Probably only the EU institutions
and blinkered English companies who aren't looking outside this little
island can do it.
When I was working the target audience was 'the web' (which speaks
American English) or other major hi-tech companies who were also
driven by the same imperatives to write in American. I accepted that I
had to spell some things differently, but I did everything I could to
avoid bringing in American grammar. It just didn't feel right and it
also jarred with my European colleagues who knew I was British - they
had learnt British English at school and were more careful with their
spelling and grammar than any native speaker. So I didn't use 'gotten'
as a past participle...
Jez