Re: [OM] (OM) Hugin

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Hugin
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 09:54:25 +0000
There's updating (for service packs / point releases) which is easy, and
then there's reinstalling (with your original Windows) after your HDD
crashed - that's big work.

I just reinstalled my son's (Vista) from scratch and after the OS install
(which was dead easy) there were 107 updates to download and install which
took >12 hours. Then there are updates to all the hardware drivers which
have to be searched out individually and installed.  You could be lucky and
find the pc manufacturer has a support pack to bundle them all, but that's
not always the case.

Same applies if you want to make a major OS upgrade like WinXp to Vista or
Win7 or Win8.
I don't think you could do any of those major OS upgrades or reinstalls
without rebuilding your entire app set.  (And in fact I would probably
never do it with 'originals' but would search out the latest versions.)

Jez