Re: [OM] Still messing with flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Still messing with flash
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 13:20:58 -0600
On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You prefer #4 with no flash to #4 with flash but you haven't tried to
> duplicate the lighting.  You have different angles and harsher shadows
> in the flash shot.  You need more diffusion and/or stronger fill.  I
> would suggest 1/2 stop rather than the 1 stop you're using.  Move the 1
> stop ND filtered flash back to drop its brightness.
>
> I'd also suggest a paper or cloth backdrop passing underneath the dolls
> so there isn't the color/texture change from "floor" to "wall" in your
> setup.  Also run the backdrop way back behind the dolls before bringing
> it up so there aren't strong shadows cast on the backdrop or (more
> difficult) use a backlight on the backdrop to cut the shadows.

You assume I haven't tried to duplicate the lighting because I did not web
out the attempts.  It is hard to beat north window light.  I'll try it
again with your suggestions.

Thanks also for the suggestion about moving off the background.  I have an
easel that might work for the purpose.  I purchased another slave trigger
to try a bit of backlighting.  I have a Sunpak 4300 that has a very broad
range of manual settings, down to 1/16 of a full dump.  Some setting should
work.

Thanks for your suggestions, Chuck.

Joel W