Re: [OM] Still messing with flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Still messing with flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 12:06:25 -0500
You prefer #4 with no flash to #4 with flash but you haven't tried to
duplicate the lighting.  You have different angles and harsher shadows
in the flash shot.  You need more diffusion and/or stronger fill.  I
would suggest 1/2 stop rather than the 1 stop you're using.  Move the 1
stop ND filtered flash back to drop its brightness.

I'd also suggest a paper or cloth backdrop passing underneath the dolls
so there isn't the color/texture change from "floor" to "wall" in your
setup.  Also run the backdrop way back behind the dolls before bringing
it up so there aren't strong shadows cast on the backdrop or (more
difficult) use a backlight on the backdrop to cut the shadows.

Dr. Flash