Re: [OM] Old & wise? (Was:Dried-in)

Subject: Re: [OM] Old & wise? (Was:Dried-in)
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 08:51:51 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>> When I was young I was foolish and invincible.  Now I'm old and know
>>> that I'm no longer invincible but still a bit foolish.
>
>Much like idiot 40-somethings who decide they're getting into adventure
>pursuits like mountain-biking and
>think a new dual suspension bike will save them from their foolishness.
>
>(Says the guy 1 week into riding and 18 hours into back agony, contusions,
>grazes and yet another shot at
>taking out his own eye with only 2 seconds of cloudy memory detail as to how:

     When I got back into cycling heavily about two years ago, I started out
with 5-mile trips until the muscle soreness subsided.  Now, I can do 40 miles
or more in a day with no discomfort.  But then, I'm riding road bikes on fairly
level routes.  The enjoyment is not limited to just riding, but includes
restoring old bikes.  I've frequented a local bike repair cooperative to the
point where people think I'm one of the volunteers.  I actually enjoy that as
the people who come there, for the most part, want to learn how to do it
themselves and don't mind getting dirty.  Yesterday I helped a young couple fit
out a Schwinn frameset that they had brought in and also showed a couple of
fellows how to true up a wheel.  One young woman cautioned her child about
getting dirty and I quipped that that was part of the fun.  Some of these kids
are better than the adults, and that's encouraging as they may go on to be very
capable mechanical engineers instead of wasting their lives as b
 utton-pushing pansies.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson