Re: [OM] Linux security query, was: Nasty iOS and OS X security bug

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux security query, was: Nasty iOS and OS X security bug
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 17:11:14 -0800
One thing I do not see mentioned above, Chuck, is that most Win viruses are
not transferrable to Linux machines, so I wouldn't be too worried about it
being a Windows network. The main thing is to use good passwords--and
different passwords--on your Linux machine where required, and to not
change default permissions without good reason (and understanding of why
you are doing it). Other than that, I'd say you're well on your way.

I've used Fedora on a Win network for years. Works just fine, and the
SELinux addition adds a little extra layer of security.

If your printer is network-attached, you'll likely find drivers for it
(especially if it's from HP) and you can use it without having to worry
about the Windows machine at all. If it's USB-attached, things are a bit
more problematic, but should still be doable fairly easily. You might fiund
these links helpful:

http://www.printmanager.com/cms.php?aid=82&fullpage=1&support=8

http://justin.yackoski.name/winp/