[OM] Seduced Again - a Tale of GAS

Subject: [OM] Seduced Again - a Tale of GAS
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 14:53:27 -0800
I was cruising, lookin' at stuff ...

My eye was caught by an Amazon listing for black Panny GM1 with black lens. So
far, they are only selling two tone
models in NA, with a silver colored lens.

I've always liked black cameras. This looked really nice. Two sellers in Asia,
one for almost twice list, but the one in
Hong Kong wants no more than the two tone ones are selling for here. No US
warranty, one year offered from seller, for
what that's worth. (They did keep the sticker needed to validate a warranty
there, so maybe they would act on my behalf.)

It's only $3-4 more for expedited shipping via DHL. I order Tues. afternoon, it
arrives Fri, almost exactly 36 hrs. later.

Damn, it's tiny! Here next to some other smallish serious cameras.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=11601>

I don't have a Sony RX100, which is slightly larger in height and width than
the GM1. Black out the AG ring and white
lettering on the lens cap lens, and it's stealthier than anything short of a
pen camera. :-)   I haven't tried the WiFi
remote control yet, but that should also offer some stealth opportunities.

We are finally getting some rain. I slipped out between showers and took its
first two images.

Primroses in shade, ISO 3200. Notice the nice smooth bokeh.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=11614>

Tree silhouettes against cloud subtleties.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=11618>

The reviews all say it's the same sensor system as in the GX7, which I've found
very impressive. To get that kind of
image making in such a small package seems amazing to me. The the high ISO
capability is especially unusual, as most of
my digital life, the small cameras likely to be at hand in casual situations
indoors and at night have been the ones
with small sensors and limited high ISO performance. Put the 20/1.7 on it and
darkness is your friend. ;-)

One price of the size is no IBIS. Both my Panny zooms have OIS, but their
primes don't. It actually looks quite right
with the Oly 40-150, so I may find a Panny 45-150 with IS that I could carry in
one pocket with the camera and 12-32 in
another.

Gear Is Moose