Re: [OM] IMG: Inside the EU Parliament

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Inside the EU Parliament
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 22:41:42 +0100
It is a territory of more than 500 million people, so the sums you mention are
tiny.

As for the Little Englanders that want to exit, they are the same people who
long for warm beer and the time when foreigners, especially brown ones, were
kept in their place. Progressive Britons, not to mention British business, are
scared shitless of these people.

And, BTW, many of those people voting UKIP and railing against the EU live
right here on Spain's sunny coast but "forget" to tell their government so that
they can draw their winter fuel subsidy back home. I would be more than happy
to be rid of that particular group of people.

Cheers,
Nathan

On 28 Feb 2014, at 18:57, John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> According to the wikipedia, the nominal GDP of the EU for 2012 was
> US$16.584 trillion or $16,584,000,000,000 with 1% being a mere
> $165,840,000,000
>
> That is a very large cost number to administer the administrators and
> people of the individual EU countries  !
>
> If that is the equivalent of a single French ministry it is little
> wonder that the French economy is going the way of that of Greece !
>
> It is little wonder that there are some loud calls for one or more
> countries to exit Mrs Merkel's club !
>
> jh
>
> On 2014-02-28 12:14 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>> Ahem,
>>
>> Let me just point out that the entire EU budget is 1% of GDP, and that the
>> civil service at around 35,000 employees, is comparable to a single French
>> ministry. Big government it is not.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nathan
>>
>> On 28 Feb 2014, at 11:49, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> And the budget, Philippe, neither of us has mentioned the budget or the
>>> audit report . . .
>>>
>>> Oh well . . . but big government does have its benefits.
>>>
>>> Chris

>>> --
>>>

>> Nathan Wajsman
>> Alicante, Spain