Re: [OM] (OM) Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Computers
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 02:48:51 +1300

An update on my computer repair.

The repair guy ascertained that
the XP OS on my computer had somehow corrupted.

I don't understand his
methodology, but he is using a program he has to work down the layers (
I re-interpret that to mean 'directory tree levels' ) to see what he can
identify.

I went to see him yesterday - I had not pestered him earlier
as I understood he had a priority job underway for a big client.

took with me a new 500GB HD I had intended to do a new backup with (but
never got a round tuit), and suggested that he install XP on that,
restore my first "Acronis" BU on it, and I would just accept my losses
for what they were.

He agreed with the suggestion, but also added that
once he had made my main HD more or less legible, he would install it in
the spare HD bay and I could copy across to the new drive, any important
files I needed.

There are some especially some major documents I
created as well as about several months' worth of images.

Then I will
buy an additional 500GB drive and do another backup. But this time
probably not with Acronis but I will wade through the multitude of
suggestions you guys have thoughtfully made and choose another.

Cheers, Brian