Re: [OM] [OT] Computers - XP

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Computers - XP
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 17:36:20 -0600
On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > My 8.1 (touch) laptop is a pleasure to use.  There are a couple oddities
> > work around, but I enjoy it.  It is finally touch capability that makes
> > sense to me.  Very frustrating to go back to an iPad now.
>
> As per normal with Microsoft, I think that the every other version
> skip is a good policy. W8 is a disaster in many regards. But it is
> certainly an advancement. This household has three brand new W8
> touchscreen laptops of different brands. The execution between
> computers is actually a bit bigger than one would expect. My wife's
> Lenovo Yoga makes the whole experience a lot more enjoyable than the
> Toshiba or Acer. It's weird, because the intangibles make the
> difference. (I got my wife's W7 Lenovo X100 which is further proof of
> how intangibles make such a difference for the user).
>
> I realize that I'm outnumbered but I feel that iOS is woefully
> inadequate and out of date compared to pretty much everything else
> these days.

No opinion about iOS as I don't use it except on iPad 1.0 which is no
longer supported.  That, by the way, became an avenue (I suspect) for an
exploit when I simply purchased an eBook a couple months ago.  The next day
some jerk tried to buy a MacBook with my CC number.  Fortunately, Discover
was vigilant and gave me a heads up.  That is probably a warning as to what
happens when you use an operating system that is no longer supported.  To
Windows' credit, XP was an unbelievable run.

I agree about the Yoga.  When you are "touchscreening," you want to draw
the surface to you and that is not possible with a traditional laptop.  I
would not want a full-sized touchscreen monitor that I could not articulate
every which way.

Joel W.