Re: [OM] IMGS: Rug Weaver

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Rug Weaver
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 09:39:41 -0500
If the fringing is reduced by stopping down then the 180/2 suffers from
axial chromatic aberration.  Check this Wiki description of CA types.
Note especially the last paragraph which discusses the difficulty of
correcting axial CA relative to transverse CA.

Chuck Norcutt
There are two types of chromatic aberration: axial (longitudinal), and
transverse (lateral). Axial aberration occurs when different wavelengths
of light are focused at different distances from the lens, i.e.,
different points on the optical axis (focus shift). Transverse
aberration occurs when different wavelengths are focused at different
positions in the focal plane (because the magnification and/or
distortion of the lens also varies with wavelength; indicated in graphs
as (change in) focus length). The acronym LCA is used, but ambiguous,
and may refer to either longitudinal or lateral CA; for clarity, this
article uses "axial" (shift in the direction of the optical axis) and
"transverse" (shift perpendicular to the optical axis, in the plane of
the sensor or film).[4]

These two types have different characteristics, and may occur together.
Axial CA occurs throughout the image and is specified by optical
engineers, optometrists, and vision scientists in the unit of focus
known widely as diopters,[5] and is reduced by stopping down. (This
increases depth of field, so though the different wavelengths focus at
different distances, they are still in acceptable focus.) Transverse CA
does not occur in the center, and increases towards the edge, but is not
affected by stopping down.

In digital sensors, axial CA results in the red and blue planes being
defocused (assuming that the green plane is in focus), which is
relatively difficult to remedy in post-processing, while transverse CA
results in the red, green, and blue planes being at different
magnifications (magnification changing along radii, as in geometric
distortion), and can be corrected by radially scaling the planes
appropriately so they line up.