Re: [OM] (OT) Barks, like a dog

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Barks, like a dog
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 12:29:14 -0500
On Feb 21, 2014, at 4:46 PM, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> :-)
>
> I’m not sure that it would be wise, Bob.  After all, this group of
> highly-respected photographers and camera enthusiasts is entirely interested
> in good photography, not grainy or noisy low-light flash photography of the
> sort that you might see from small-sensor compact cameras.
>
> But, on the other hand, group dynamics is sometimes quite interesting . . .

Umm. Indeed. <g>

> Last night was my last night of duty in London.  The Squadron has a night of
> training once a week, normally when we have a guest presenter (or several) to
> brief the assembled student body on matters military.  I have organised these
> presentations for years, but last night I managed to get a pilot and nav
> (WSO) from a Tornado squadron to present to us.  It was a successful event:
> the presenters were fresh back from Helmand province, they were young and the
> nav was a girl, professional and pretty (a very useful role-model for our
> girls, in my view).
>
> But because it was my last time, they had organised all to wear bow ties (I
> always wear them I am required to smarten up) and the girls had all acquired
> Hooters t-shirts, into which they changed at about 2230.  They then dragged
> me off to the Sports Bar on Haymarket, just down from Piccadilly, where I was
> forced to dance with them until the small hours.  But before we departed our
> bar, there were several photos, 2 of which are here:

All kidding aside, I think it’s a testament to their esteem for you that they
would do such a thing. Over here, at least, that sort of convivial, teasing and
somewhat charged atmosphere just wouldn’t happen unless there was a special
bond of respect and affection between instructor and students. Of course I
suppose they could be of the ilk that looks for any reason to party, but
somehow I don’t think so. <wink>

> It was a great night.  However, I got very little sleep (I can’t sleep late
> in the mornings) so I must now go to bed.

I’m sure Julia enjoyed watching you roll out bright and early, bedazzled and
bumfuzzled. <g>

Good on you, at any rate. But does this mean that if we get back to the UK, I’m
not going to be able to attend one of these spectacles with you? I like
charming female navigators as much as the next guy.

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Navigator Appreciating Neanderthal