Re: [OM] FL-600R

Subject: Re: [OM] FL-600R
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 06:13:20 -0600
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Bill Pearce <billcpearce@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Good point. Flash is a tool, just like lenses or a specific camera. I'm
> convinced that those who refuse to use flash are those who aren't skilled
> at
> it.

I agree a little bit, and disagree a little bit.  I have lots of flashes
and experiment with them and, fortunately because of digital's
instant feedback, I can usually achieve what I want.  But without setting
up something like a studio, I cannot count on repeatable results.  I have
to start experimenting all over again the next time.  Granted, it is easier
to get there the next time, but it is still trial and error to a
considerable degree.

Also, I tend to judge whether the result is acceptable based on its
approximates to what I might get of the same subject in natural light.  And
I don't just want to approximate light as in 'lit up;"  I want light that
is beautiful.  This is perhaps a strangling sort of stricture to put on
flash photography, but I suspect that it is more likely to be the reason
people who are skilled in other elements of photography shy away from flash.

But yes, to the extent that using flash well is akin to a physics lab,
there are some who simply walk away from it for that reason, I am sure.

Joel W.