Re: [OM] FL-600R

Subject: Re: [OM] FL-600R
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:26:47 -0500
OK, here's your quick flash lesson.  As you can see by checking the
highlights in the eyes:

The first one is just two studio lights (with rectangular softboxes)
like this one
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/135645-REG/Photoflex_XT_2MLD293_LiteDome_Q39_Medium_Softbox.html>,

The second is a single light (a T-32 or maybe Sunpak 422D) in manual
mode behind a small umbrella on a portable light stand with flash and
umbrella bracket which sets next to the camera and at the same level.
Similar to this but smaller umbrella and more portable light stand.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682820-REG/Westcott_2332_43_Collapsible_Umbrella_Flash.html>

When doing daylight fill flash like this I use a flash meter like this
one
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889811-REG/Sekonic_L_478D_Litemaster_Pro_Light.html>

and aim for a measurement of about 20% of the light from flash, 80%
ambient and then

The third one in the (normally) nearly dark tent required 5 lights in
strategic locations... 4 out of sight and bouncing off the roof of the
tent, one on the camera for fill on the near subjects and then a long
shutter speed (1/4 sec... called "dragging the shutter) to make use of
the ambient light which includes the low intensity incandescent light
strings that don't show at all at higher shutter speeds.

Study for the test tomorrow.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt