Re: [OM] Slow internet? Maybe it's time to check your router

Subject: Re: [OM] Slow internet? Maybe it's time to check your router
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:38:19 -0500
The "S" in HTTPS stands for "Secure" which means the data is encrypted.
  Any internet communications can be encrypted but, in this particular
case (router setup), AFAIK, it only has to do with the communications
between your computer and the router.  The setting is unimportant if
your own local network is just your house and you have a wired
connection.  If you have a wireless connection then someone could
conceivably monitor your communications by parking some wi-fi device
near enough to your house to pick up the signal.  In that case you may
want to use HTTPS.

Be aware that, if you do change it from HTTP to HTTPS, the next time you
try to use the internet your browser may nag at you about the
possibility of your router being an imposter.  When HTTPS is employed
the two communicating parties exchange verification certificates and
Firefox claims that it doesn't know about the Cisco (mfgr) certificate
that gets presented by the LinkSys router.  You may have to tell your
browser to accept the unverified connection as valid and to make and
remember this as an exception.

My understanding of all this encryption protocol is vague at best.  If
I've made any errors here I hope someone will correct me soon.  :-)

ps:  Your router is its own website.  You have to log on and then your
be presented with a bunch of configuration menus. You talk to it by
connecting to its URL which will be *something* like HTTP://192.168.1.1
and the other computers, printers, etc. connected to that router will
vary by the digits following the third period.  eg:  Your computer might
be 192.168.1.2 and the printer 192.168.1.3.  If using secure
communications the URL will start out HTTPS://

Chuck Norcutt