Re: [OM] Slow internet? Maybe it's time to check your router

Subject: Re: [OM] Slow internet? Maybe it's time to check your router
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:19:21 -0400
I came across the http v https thing four or five years ago. Here is my
story,. Maybe someone has an answer.

" http : // www . MyWebsite . ca  " was a legitimate website in all
respects, properly registered, etc, etc

One time by pure chance I entered [minus the " " marks]

" https : // www . MyWebsite . ca  "  and up came a completely different
website with no connection to the legitimate one EXCEPT that the line of
business of both web site users was identical. The legitimate user was in
Canada, the other user was in the US.

The only difference in the URLs between the first and second sites was the "
s " in the opening http.

That " s " had given the illegitimate user use of a well established
Canadian domain name. Uploaded pages on the illegitimate site nor its
traffic activity affected the functionality of the legitimate site.

When I mentioned this to the client the https site disappeared that day. I
never did discover what the client did to have the https site go away.

jh