Re: [OM] Fall Colors, Ledges State Park

Subject: Re: [OM] Fall Colors, Ledges State Park
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 18:36:38 -0600
> Yes, that's why the double question mark. A different thing with vs. without,
> both likeable.
> Might call them "Slow down and enjoy the beauty" and "Look at the beautiful
> color."
> Truth is, once I opened it up to get rid of the bright spot, itchy fingers
> couldn't resist taking on the sign. :-)

It's one of those "This picture of the sunset would be so much better
if the sun wasn't in it" types of things. Wait five minutes and the
sun will be gone and the picture is of the sky, not the sun. Intent of
the picture or the subject of the picture totally changes when you go
and delete the subject the photographer so carefully made the focal
point of the picture.

I'm not saying that what you did was wrong, but it proves that a
little bit of post production can yield two entirely different
photographs with two entirely different subjects.

As to the dead-center positioning of the sign, I did that on purpose
because of the tension it creates. I wanted the eyes to be disturbed
by the presence of this static subject with an obscenely low speed
limit showing. Position of the sign reinforces the absurd speed. It is
also a statement of our prettiest scenes are often interrupted by
stupid signs.

Who knows, I may have shot it that way in hopes that I could delete it in post.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx