Re: [OM] Full list of cameras supported by the current version of ACR (

Subject: Re: [OM] Full list of cameras supported by the current version of ACR ( 8.3)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 19:52:21 -0800
On 2/14/2014 6:39 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Is there any reason why a CR2 or ORF file from an as yet unannounced
> Canon or Olympus camera won't work in ACR?

Yes, and not just for ACR, but for all Raw converters I know of.

If you've read the Ctein articles I recently linked to about ISO and about Raw
conversion, as well as stuff from Adobe
and Canon, at least, you know that a file format doesn't say how the data in it
should be made into an image. It gives
luminance values for each pixel, but there are a whole lot of decisions about
how to convert those to image files that
aren't inherent in the raw data.

An ORF run through Viewer comes out somewhat different than one run through
ACR. The Viewer one will look the same as a
JPEG from the camera engine with the same settings. This is a good thing for
those enamored with Oly's JPEGs

The ACR one will look a lot like other brands of camera run through ACR. The
same ORF file run through the two different
converters may look more like others from the same source run through the same
converter than like itself.

Same story with Canon's DPP converter and ACR. The same file run through both
with default settings just looks
different, not much, to some eyes, a whole lot to others.

None of them will convert a file without header information that identifies it
as one they understand, because they then
couldn't be sure of that would come out. No one wants to have bad stuff coming
out of their converter.

I can't remember the details, but at one time I experimented with changing
header information in a file to see if I
could fool a converter. As I recall it may have worked, in the simple sense of
getting a processed file out, or maybe
not. I would assume that cameras like the 7D, 60D and  the Rebel model with the
same sensor and processor could all be
processed interchangeably, but the converter still needs to know that the file
is from a camera it knows about.

Soooo ... Processors won't even try to work with files without at least brand
and model that they recognize.

Sorry About That Moose