Re: [OM] Tope 3, photo of other list member

Subject: Re: [OM] Tope 3, photo of other list member
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 18:41:28 -0600
A data point. Camera was set to night mode. Substantial ISO and noise
reduction involved. Today, I experimented with the pano and HDR modes Very
nice results. In Dean's photo, there is a ton of noise reduction down in
the two to three pixel range, but that is a result of the night mode.

As to the blown highlights behind him, I'm not sure what to say there,
because the bags are white and very reflective. The north windows were
behind me with the sun reflecting off of cars and snow.

AG

On Sunday, February 9, 2014, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2/9/2014 3:10 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> > I think Dean's forehead went a bit flat with the highlight suppression.
> >    I think I'd choose something half way between even if it was a bit
> > bright... after all that was the light.
>
> Fine with me.
>
> Generally when I do a different version of a posted image, I lean toward
> going beyond what might be any individual's
> taste. It's mostly exercises in what's possible, as opposed to a finished
> product.
>
> In this case, I was specifically interested in how AG's new favorite
> camera handles wide DR harsh lighting, so
> recovering as much detail in the highlights was more important to me than
> the 'best' portrait.
>
> I'm reasonably impressed with the Galaxy's JPEG engine. Although some pure
> whites in the background are well and truly
> blown, all the detail in Dean's forehead is still there, albeit compressed
> at the top so not visible without
> intervention. Likewise, shadows can be brought up and look decent, which
> you didn't mention.
>
> I'd like to see an iP5s shot with HDR on of the same subject. It takes two
> quick shots with different exposures and
> merges them.
>
> Eye Five Ess Moose
>
> --
> --