[OM] MooseRant on Low Light Shoot-Out

Subject: [OM] MooseRant on Low Light Shoot-Out
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 17:01:18 -0500 (EST)
>>DXOMark say about Low-Light ISO, E-M1 = 757, E-M5 = 826, GX7 = 718.

>>These numbers are so close as to be a toss-up. But, they show the
E-M5 to be
>>better than the GX7. This is simply not
>>true in actual use.

I found this curious as well in some respects. DXO normalizes
measurement of ISO and it is often not exactly what corresponds to the
manufacturer's stated ISO.
DXO graphs them out for you under the measurement tab. ISO "200" for
the OMD is closer to 100.    The GX-7's are close to being spot on as
measured so the effect is in the opposite direction and doesn't explain
the difference in results.  There are rounding issues as well.  It
appears the images on DPR in the
studio comparison shot widget are taken at the nominal camera ISO as
best as can be discerned.  So one isn't really comparing apples to
apples anyway.
  That be said,  all the cams are within 1/3 EV so the rank order as
well as the absolute values should not be over- interpreted. If the
absolute amount of noise is similar the quality of the noise and
response to PP
may matter more as you demonstrated.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Olympus/OM-D-E-M5#tabs-2

(be sure to hit measurement tab--can't directly link to it--perhaps a
flash thing. )

>>I rather doubt they have
>>the hours and perhaps the expertise to do that.

Yikes, last I knew they had stables full of optics PhD's and I saw some
ads for more in Information Week a few months back.

>>It's just too expensive a toy for me. I tried out a free sample, and
couldn't
>>see where it was worth my time and money.

Yes for you  it wasn't worth it back then.  It is several releases past
that and thought it might be worth a 10 min download/ installation for
a re look-see.

The new "Prime" noise reduction especially after revision in 9.1 seems
very good.  They recognized the elephant in the room and one can
directly export the tiff to PS
 from within DXO and use it as a very fancy converter.  The highlight
recovery has improved and color handling for my purposes is often
better than ACR.  It correctly places skin tones and purple
in the same image with my Canyon, that ACR rarely gets right and it is
otherwise very fussy for me to fix and often I am not skilled enough to
do w/o DXO.
At high ISO it would be a bit too aggressive and loose detail, but that
seems fixed with this iteration  and I think as good as NI and less
work.   Hidden in one of your posts
was that you had succumbed to CC model.  I was a bit surprised as
though you would ride CS6 quite a while longer.

http://mikepasini.com/corners/2013/10/23-dxo-optics-pro-9-review/index.htm

(first version of Prime too--less loss of detail now-totally adjustable
as well)

Mike