Re: [OM] Shoot B&W film again?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shoot B&W film again?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 09:35:21 -0600
> I would agree with most of what AG said, would substitute the word
> "different" for "superior" and omit "Except that."  See how that  reads.

I find it best to acknowledge the superiority of the $10,000
technology over the $5.85 technology and just move on. I'd be more
than happy to take this discussion off-list with anybody who wants to
discuss ancient, obsolete and clearly inferior methods to keep from
starting arguments with the Illuminati.

> The stuff I'm buying currrently is primarily Ilford.  My most used  film is
> their HP 5 Plus.  As a former Tri-X guy from the '60s I find the  results
> work for me.  Also use their chemistry (DDX developer.)  I've  also used a
> fair amount of Delta 100 sheet film. Ilford also happens to be the  product
> most widely available from the suppliers I use.

My personal favorite combination is Delta 400 processed in DDX. With
slight changes in development and ISO settings, you can mimic Tri-X
extremely well, or have the more modern look. I like Delta 400 over
Tri-X for one thing (YMMV), and that's the extended near-IR range. It
tends to have a little more reach into the red spectrum. The result is
that it lifts skin tones a little bit. Depending on the person, it
will lift by about 1/2 a stop. Combined with an orange filter and skin
blemishes simply disappear. Awesome for photographing teenagers. I
generally shoot Delta 400 at the native 520 or 800. DDX is more of a
film-speed developer, instead of a contrast developer, so push/pull
works extremely well. The vast majority of my Delta 400 is shot at
800.

> Unless your computer is on fire, you don't get those wonderful toxic smells
>  found in a wet darkroom.  That should be reason enough to get dark and get
>  wet.

Unfortunately, that is also reason enough to keep people out of the
dark and wet. But, give yourself plenty of ventilation and keeping
your bare fingers out of the chemicals is usually enough.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx