Re: [OM] (OM) A question of Ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) A question of Ethics
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 16:48:59 -0800
On 1/30/2014 5:46 AM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Moose wrote
>
> On 1/26/2014 8:10 PM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

> Something bothers me a little. This photo,
>

> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=10859 [1]
>
> This is much
> too high key for my taste. A fair number of blown pixels, but scattered,
> so a much richer version is possible. Also, someone mentioned B&W, and
> I have a new effects plug-in.
>
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Ponderosa_Pine.htm>
>

> Here is the 'original' image, altered only by resizing.

> To make it look more like I wished I could have captured

Your (mis)adventures with exposure bemuse me. That is seriously overexposed.
Sunny 16 would suggest f8, 1/320 @ your
chosen ISO 160. Bright, direct sun with some quite light elements in the
subject would suggest more like 1/500, but this
is shot at 1/250.

I suspect what has gone wrong is that you are using center weighted metering
with a dark area in the middle of the
subject. Of the five metering modes on the E-3, you've used the one least
likely to give a correct exposure of this subject.

Oly's ESP metering would do better than that as early as the OMPC. You should
try the Digital ESP setting on your E-3.
Also, several here use -2/3 EV compensation for sunlight days shots. Especially
true if shooting JPEG and wanting to
hold highlights. I think those settings would have nailed your exposure.

Extra bracketing shots are free on digital; pick the closest couple and dump
the rest. Or shoot with a tripod and
combine light and dark exposures.

Exposed Moose