Re: [OM] In the square

Subject: Re: [OM] In the square
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:44:23 -0500
If I were going to actually print these, I’d work on them a bit more. With that
wind, there was no need for mousse. I can’t abide stuff in my hair. When I was
a kid, my paternal grandfather (the one upon whose grave I smoked a joint upon
returning to the States), used to try to soak into my head the necessity to
“train” my hair. He applied all manner of hair dressings of the time, most
notably Brylcreem. I had (excessive adverb alert!) extremely thick, exceedingly
curly hair, and it did not like Brylcreem or anything else applied. Refused to
cooperate, which turned my grandfather into a frustrated hair drill sergeant.

My father wasn’t a whole lot better. Every Saturday morning I rode my bicycle
downtown to the Skyland Barber Shop for a haircut. I had two choices: crewcut
or flattop. Then, upon exiting the United States Army, which also required
weekly haircuts, I eschewed barber shops, beauty shops or styling salons for
more than two or three years. It grew out and up, and was quite impressive. My
father-in-law, bless his pea-picking little bigoted heart, called me Afro-Hebe.
(I am neither African-American nor Jewish, but he absorbed massive quantities
of Pabst Blue Ribbon at the Happy Days Bar on Central Avenue in Charlotte, and
so I let barking dogs bark and concentrated on falling hopelessly in love with
his daughter, who, as you know, is an exemplary human being, despite having
chosen to spend her life with me. <g>)

To this day I hate haircuts, and get them as seldom as possible. Twice a year
is my average.

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Formerly Extremely Hirsute Neanderthal