Re: [OM] West Coast Beer News [was Very Good Beer News]

Subject: Re: [OM] West Coast Beer News [was Very Good Beer News]
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <mark.marrlyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 17:00:04 -0700
On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A clone? From a kit? PtE is a favorite, and fairly readily available
> hereabouts, but expensive.

A kit:
http://morebeer.com/products/russian-rivers-pliny-elder-extract-beer-kit.html

Certainly not readily available here in New Mexico, though it looks like it
may make it into Colorado.

I had a glass of Cellarmaker Simcoe Galaxy IPA last weekend that I liked a
> lot as well. Like PtE, it's a true (double)
> IPA with complex, sophisticated flavors, rather than something that beats
> one into submission with hops.
>
> My son who's so involved with Faction Brewing lives in SF, not far from
> Cellarmaker, and I think drinks their beers more
> than Faction. He's just done his first label for Cellarmaker; quite a
> different style from Faction.

It's a 70+ mile round trip to our nearest brewpub, and for various reasons
we don't get there much anymore, so I'm quite glad to have started home
brewing.

> Sheesh! Sounds awful. But if there's one thing I've learned in the last
> couple of years, it's that names and labels, at
> least on the West Coast, are all about statement and positioning, so,
> unfortunately, they tell one little about what's
> inside. For example, Death By Hops beer isn't nearly as aggressively
> bitter and raw hoppy as some others

It's another kit:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits/smoke-bomb-imperial-smoked-chipotle-porter-recipe-kit.html

I don't think it'll be awful, but the seeming ridiculousness of it was one
reason I decided to try it. I've had a few chili beers before, but they've
all been based on pale ales, which couldn't really carry the chili taste or
heat very well. I wondered if a porter might stand a better chance of it.
The taste I had when I kegged it was pretty good, but I may have been a bit
overenthusiastic with the chilies as it had a bit of a kick :) It should be
ready to try in a week or so. I suspect that this one might age pretty
well, but time will tell.

Mark