Re: [OM] West Coast Beer News [was Very Good Beer News]

Subject: Re: [OM] West Coast Beer News [was Very Good Beer News]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 14:28:20 -0800
On 1/19/2014 10:52 AM, Mark Marr-Lyon wrote:
> Or, if you cut back the scale a bit more, a great deal less money than
> that. Here's the contents of my brewery:
> http://zuiko.dyndns.org/photos/DSCF1573.jpg
>
> In the center, a batch of Pliny the Elder double IPA just finishing primary
> fermentation

A clone? From a kit? PtE is a favorite, and fairly readily available
hereabouts, but expensive.

I had a glass of Cellarmaker Simcoe Galaxy IPA last weekend that I liked a lot
as well. Like PtE, it's a true (double)
IPA with complex, sophisticated flavors, rather than something that beats one
into submission with hops.

My son who's so involved with Faction Brewing lives in SF, not far from
Cellarmaker, and I think drinks their beers more
than Faction. He's just done his first label for Cellarmaker; quite a different
style from Faction.

> and on the right a batch of Edwort's Apfelwein about 3 weeks
> old. The empty carboy on the left contained a batch of imperial chipotle
> smoked porter that is now carbonating in a keg.

Sheesh! Sounds awful. But if there's one thing I've learned in the last couple
of years, it's that names and labels, at
least on the West Coast, are all about statement and positioning, so,
unfortunately, they tell one little about what's
inside. For example, Death By Hops beer isn't nearly as aggressively bitter and
raw hoppy as some others.

Growler Moose