Re: [OM] The (US) incandescent light bulb isn't dead | The Verge

Subject: Re: [OM] The (US) incandescent light bulb isn't dead | The Verge
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 01:15:41 -0500
That statement shows a profound ignorance of history. The British were not
using taxation for social engineering; they were simply taxing the
colonists to raise money for the expenses of government. The colonists
were NOT, repeat, NOT opposed to paying taxes. The individual colonies
levied taxes that they willingly paid.

The problem with the taxes the government in London was imposing is that
the colonists, despite being British citizens (rather than conquered
people like the people of India), did not have the right to send
representatives to the House of Commons in London. They lost that right
simply for living in America instead of England, Scotland, Wales, or
Ireland (note that Catholics in Ireland were similarly disenfranchised).

This is why the history books call it "Taxation without representation."
The taxes imposed by the governments of the individual colonies were
acceptable because those taxes were approved by colonial legislatures
whose members were residents of each colony and elected by their fellow
citizens.

The supreme irony of the American revolution is that the government the
colonists revolted against was the most democratic government on Earth at
the time. King George III was no tyrant; he had little real political
power. That was in the hands of Parliament, which escaped most of the
blame. The British system had deep flaws, like the disenfranchisement of
the American colonists with relation to the national government in London,
and the similar denial of voting rights to Catholics and the poor (both of
whom received the right to vote in the 19th Century). Still, Britain had a
far more democratic government, one that respected its citizens' rights to
a far greater extent, than ANY other state in the world.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook