Re: [OM] IMG: Small Town Infrastructure - 100% Crop

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Small Town Infrastructure - 100% Crop
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 15:10:45 -0800
On 1/3/2014 2:10 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Thanks, Moose, for the analysis.  I took a look at LightRoom, and found
> that the latest version will not run on my old XP system.  I will
> probably get a new computer in the Spring, after my tax work is
> completed, and might choose to upgrade my software at that time.  I
> really dread setting up a new system, so I procrastinate!

Oh man, do I ever hear that! I really need a new desktop. I think this one has
been in service longer than any of its
predecessors. But I so much am NOT looking forward to the process.

In the past, I've always installed on the new system only what I know I will
really use, then leave the old system
running. Then as I find other things I want/need, I can use them on the old
system, then install on the new. When I've
not had occasion to use the old system for a year or so, it goes into storage,
and the one before it can be dumped.

Being me, my computers end up with amazing numbers of programs on them. I have
no idea at the moment what quite a few
are for. The gentle transition gets rid of the chaff without risk of cluttering
up the new one with dross nor missing
something I need. It's tried and proven, but a pain I'm not looking forward to.

> I certainly want no part of the latest developments in cloud storage.

They are quite useful for a family or group with various sorts of devices. When
I take a pic with my iPhone, it appears
automagically in the DropBox folders on my computers and Carol's computer and
iPad. I would consider using it as a
further backup, but the number of GBs I would need to store aren't anywhere
close to free.

Reticent About Replacement Moose