Re: [OM] The (US) incandescent light bulb isn't dead | The Verge

Subject: Re: [OM] The (US) incandescent light bulb isn't dead | The Verge
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 03:20:45 +1030
Chuck,

I was watching a US TV news show yesterday with a story about this :)
They made reference to the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department's
incandescent lamp (http://www.centennialbulb.org/).

Australia has had a similar law for some years. The special-function
thing also applies. This was introduced in the name of being green, but
oddly, one can still readily buy cheap dichroic downlights with all of
their attendant waste (fortunately for my close-work desk lamp!).

I've already explained my experiences and opinions from both a technical
and user perspective regarding high efficiency lighting  on list some
years back (I upset some people - again, I apologise unreservedly...) so
I won't go into that here, except to add that, unfortunately, my early
experiences with regard to lifetime, cost and (guaranteed) recycling of
used CFL devices are still valid.

I love the idea of LED technology (I have since the late 70s when I got
my first Radio Shack packet of assorted seconds - they smell BAD when
they explode...), and I do like well designed LED car taillights. That
said, I'm still yet to see a LED luminaire with the quality and
dispersion of a humble incandescent. As the colouration of the actual
chip is relatively easy to control at manufacture (and I expect with RGB
devices available it will be soon be controllable by the user), I hope
someone comes up with a half-decent diffuser sometime soon!

davidt