Re: [OM] Speaking of motorcycles

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of motorcycles
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 14:40:37 -0600
> Great bikes, no question. Make absolutely sure--say again, ABSOLUTELY
> SURE--she can put both of her feet down FLAT on the ground without straining.
> Unless, of course, she's a very experienced rider. All of the new
> "adventure/touring" bikes are tall, and top heavy. They take a lot of getting
> used to. Trust me on this. And I would still set aside some spare cash to
> replace turn signals, brake and clutch levers.

This is something that BMW has specifically addressed in one of their
models. They have one that is targeted at the female rider with
several design mods, such as the lower seating position and detuned
engine to make it easier to get going without scaring the rider.

> She might like something a little more retro that allows comfortable upright
> position with a seat low enough to sit flat-footed (both feet) when she
> stops. You might also check into the new generation of what used to be called
> scooters, but aren't so much anymore. BMW and Suzuki make extremely nice ones.

A retro style bike or low-riderish bike would be OK in that regard,
but they tend to be heavier and harder to ride around town. As to the
"scooters", yes, BMW has a really nice one, but it's rather pricy.
Those things are a bit popular right now and they tend to have a price
to match. They're also not as good for hitting the highway if you want
to go for a big drive.

In her professional circles, her peers are all into motorbikes and
she's feeling a bit left out. I know, I know, lousy reason, but she's
wanted a bike for as long as we've been married.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx