Re: [OM] Speaking of motorcycles

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of motorcycles
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 17:18:51 +0000
On 2 January 2014 16:55, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> While she would love a big honkin Harley, that's not going to happen
> for multiple reasons. However, an Enduro style bike would probably be
> more fitting for her. She needs something lightweight and perfect for
> bombing around town in. For out of town trips, other than the
> occasional ride, she would stick with four wheels and climate control.
>
> We have our eyes on the BMW GS series. The small engined models, like
> the 650 and 700 are about the right size and weight for her and the
> prices are decent. Even a brand new 650 is within budget.
>
> What sayeth the collective?

Good choices, but you might want to consider some alternatives.  If you're
willing to consider Italian, Ducati Multistrada.  They're enormous fun out
of town and not too heavy for pootling around town.

If you're feeling budget conscious, Suzuki DL650 V-Strom.  A very capable
and reliable little (ish) bike for not much cash.

I know people in the UK who are or have been long-term owners of both the
above and have been very happy with them.  You might want to question their
wisdom when I reveal that they've let me ride them briefly though ;)

As for our national brand, Triumph, I've heard good things about the 800cc
Tigers, and also the Street Triple,which may also worth looking at though
not enduro style.  Both have the same engine and are somewhat less bulky
than their 1050cc big sisters.

If the thought of maintaining drive chains puts you off, I guess you don't
have much choice other than the belt drive BMWs.

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer