Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother

Subject: Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 16:32:48 -0600
> Took me four days to read that review and I still can't figure out why I
> would love the A7.  Glad I didn't ask Santa for one.
>
> Is it the biggest of the lot?

Not really. The A7 is the same size and relative shape as the EM1. The
bumps, buttons, knobs and bulges are a little different, but overall,
the cameras are pretty much identical in overall shape and weight.

I think that Joel would like the A7 for the same reason I like the
A7--the sensor size and the general OM-ness of the body. The
viewfinder experience really is rather OM-like. The exact ergonomics
of the camera are a little off, but I don't think the camera is
anywhere deserving of the criticism that it has been getting. As a
general rule, my observations are the common observations of others
who have used the camera, so I'm not blowing smoke out my orifice, and
if anything, I'm MUCH more forgiving of its faults than others. I
didn't really find fault with any of the three cameras. (Although, I
did fail to mention the flicker in the XE2's viewfinder).

Just as with the EM1, the A7 is highly configurable. The UI of the EM1
is much better, but that's a little misleading because I feel that the
A7 is better FOR ME than the average PASM style DSLR of the past dozen
years.

The grouse I had with all of these cameras is that the mindset right
now is to make the cameras as small as possible with little regard to
the actual usability of the camera at that size. The EM1 and A7 could
stand to be just a little larger. The EM1 is very cramped with so many
controls, buttons, knobs and switches on it. Not as bad as the EM5,
but close. The A7 is better in this regard, but is still showing that
the SONY engineers overruled the Minolta engineers on a few things.
Speaking of Minolta, I believe that Chuck and a few others might like
to know that I felt much more at home with the A7 because it has a lot
f the heritage of the Minolta A1 in it.

Hmm... A1 - A7?

--
Ken Norton