Re: [OM] Squirrel Attack

Subject: Re: [OM] Squirrel Attack
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 16:19:30 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Cc: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>I just looked out and found a power system crew madly topping the holly
>trees along my back property line, beneath the utility cables.  It seems
>that squirrels have gnawed through the outer sheath on the fiber optic
>bundle, and damaged some of the fibers themselves.  There are about 40
>customers without TV, Internet, or telephone service, though mine is
>still up for now.
>
>They plan to make some quick repairs, but the cable must be replaced.
>If I am quiet for a while, blame the squirrels, whom I feed. :-(
>
>Such is life.

     You have my sympathy.

     Many years ago out here, mostly along the east side of the Sierra Nevada,
hikers were warned to check their brakes before leaving the parking area and
heading downhill.  Racoons had developed a healthy appetite for the rubber
hoses goint to the front wheel brake calipers.  They would chew right rhrough
the rubber and steel, causing the hydralic fluid to drain out.  You could
easily find yourself taking a quick ride downhill and then rocketing through
beautiful downtown Lone Pine.

     And then there's pack rats.  If you leave a vehicle parked for a few days
in the desert, they will buiuld a nest in the engine compartment, chewing
through wires, etc. for nesting materials.  Vehicles in long term storage have
their hoods (bonnets) left up to discourage them.

Chris