Re: [OM] Arrgghh

Subject: Re: [OM] Arrgghh
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 20:19:59 -0800
On 12/23/2013 1:01 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> ... As for filters, the easy solution is just to avoid them altogether.
>> Unless
>> you are one of those Luddites still shooting film. Oh wait...
>>
>> ;-)
>>
> I have a polarizer that fits the front of my 14-54 d. Zuiko.  It's
> relatively huge.  I need to get an assortment of adapters to use it on the
> MFT lenses.  While you can use LR or PS to deepen colors, true enough, you
> cannot use them to kill reflections off of shiny stuff or allow you to
> shoot through glass or water.  If the camera can't see through the surface
> of the water to get at the koi to start with, no amount of post is going to
> make them show up.

Agreed. One of only two circumstances where a filter is really necessary for
digital.

The other is high altitude. As the blue sensors (or blue film layer), can't
distinguish between visible blue and
ultraviolet, there is no way to properly correct in post. Pulling down the blue
channel can help, but there are often
parts of the image that then look off in the other direction. For a really
important image, lots of masking/painting
will likely work pretty well. but it's MUCH more work and less likely to be
right than a simple filter to start with.

BTW, over filtering is better than under. Raising a low blue channel is better
than lowering a UV contaminated one.

Aerial Moose