Re: [OM] Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Question
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 14:39:19 +1100
No, because it'd get stolen before you could press the trigger.

You don't need a red dot bag to advertise your Leica - a Billingham is
instantly recognised by those in the know as a leicabag. In fact, i think Leica
once commissioned some black Billinghams under their own name. To all the world
it just looks like a rather trendy knapsack but to a REAL photographer, it may
as well have Leica M embroidered across the front in 4" letters.

There has been a lot of discussion and not a small amount of academic research
on the effects on a camera of being nestled in a suitable bag. The effect is
well documented for film cameras of course (Funz und Werteberger, 1953)
although there was always some argument, violent at times, as to whether the
effect was on the camera/film itself or upon the photographer. Being assaulted
by a swinging Leica IIIf at a photographic symposium was not an unusual
experience during such heated discussions. Only aggregations of academic
philosopher demonstrate higher levels of unruly and violent behaviour. I tend
to the latter camp myself - a happy and comfortable photographer takes much
better photographs.
But of course the academic world is desperate for additional research as to
whether this effect has carried forward into the digital era. If it has,it
would tend to resolve that long running disagreement. Or, possibly not. I only
know that purring softly to my camera and stroking the bag around it does seem
to have a marked effect - usually on those around me who seem to move way quite
quickly. Not necessarily a problem as the best art has always been produced in
solitude by the mildly deranged.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com