[OM] Wood tripod (was: Re: Carbon Fibre Tripods, any recommendations)

Subject: [OM] Wood tripod (was: Re: Carbon Fibre Tripods, any recommendations)
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 23:15:25 +1030
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:07:32AM -0800, Mike Lazzari wrote:
> Sacrifice weight and add wood to the mix. Berlebach and a couple
> others... you get a lot of tripod for the pesos. I've thought about the
> little tabletop Berelebach but just wouldn't use it enough. And the leg
> tightening screws put me off. I have a big wooden transit tripod which
> is much superior to the AL types. Especially in cold weather.

My darling better half found an interesting folding wood tripod at a
garage sale many, many years ago. I've never really tried it out, but I
think this coming holidays may be the time. :)

I did buy a modern (aluminium) surveyors tripod at one point, it is
still in it's box because I still need to make the head adapter to take
a standard photo head. In this case it's an old-style manfrotto 141
3-way head. The 141 (non-rc) came attached to a totally worn out kmart
tripod, which (along with another similar victim) has long since been
repurposed as a background stand with a couple of 3/4" telescopic tent
poles!

davidt