Re: [OM] Too close to home

Subject: Re: [OM] Too close to home
From: "Ian Manners" <void@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 22:59:51 +0800 (WST)
In Western Australia, it's not a right, it's something earned
to get a license to have a firearm. You need to have a
valid reason to have one, and in most case to show you
know how to use and keep/store one.

I dont like this concept that any one has a right to anything,
you only have the 'right' to earn whatever it is that you
want, in a very generalised way.

With the number of pistols, rifles and other weapons
in Kalgoorlie, Esperance and a few other places, firearm
crime is almost non existent but I tend to think it's because
being able to have a controlled weapon, most of these
people know how to store and secure them, or there are
plenty of deep holes around Kalgoorlie for those that
don't and need to hide the evidence.

Me, it's been a while since I've had a projectile weapon
but that was mainly confined to the farm or the RAAF,
off the farm, Gelignite was the go.

I have noticed in the firearms hand in periods they have
occasionally, I'm floored by the shear volume of firearms
handed in, some are from grandad's war years, others are
weapons that for whatever reason were never re registered,
others, hmmm, sawn off shotguns, home made 22's, the
last one even had a walking cane with a barrel and hammer.

Cheers
Ian Manners
Of nowhere in particular.