Re: [OM] Papa's got a brand-new bag

Subject: Re: [OM] Papa's got a brand-new bag
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 15:28:04 -0800
On 12/12/2013 1:27 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> Or, at least it's on the way.
>
> After careful consideration based on discussions here, online in various
> forums and on DPReview, and trying several in the big-box stores around me,
> I've decided to order the Domke F-5XB in weathered brown as my small
> day-trip bag. Should hold the E-M5, one extra lens, and a flash quite
> handily.

Have you played with one? I do not like that design. The zipper opening
constricts access to the ends, and is a pain in
the field, catching on things as they go in or out. Just the kind of design
that pulls off eyepieces, changes settings
and gets things dropped.

(Most waist packs are worse, when they are 'open', the aren't OPEN.)

IMO, a proper photo equipment bag should have a completely open top when the
flap, cover, whatever covers it up, is
open. The zipper under flap design drives me nuts.* Maybe you'll like it

I like Domke quality, and some of their other designs. They really should know
better. I've got one of their larger bags
that's proper; the main compartment is completely open under the flap, which
latches closed when needed, but it's too
big for my present equipment (yippee!)

The only bag I have of a certain size is just the same design. Every time I use
it for camera gear, I curse it and
imagine what I would do to it, if I were a proper seamster. At least if I ever
do surgery, it has a clip to hold the
flap closed.

Damn, time to do some shopping!

Moose D'Opinion

* Sorry to dis yet another purchase, but you don't ask first. ;-)