Re: [OM] Foosball, was Unconventional Images from Thanksgiving

Subject: Re: [OM] Foosball, was Unconventional Images from Thanksgiving
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 14:26:10 -0000
Doubles? Only way to play in my book, although not with the same purpose in
mind as you, Bob. Way back I had a very satisfying knack of scoring from the
full-back rod/row - my, the thud of the ball as it hit the opposing goal
sounded good!

Spinning _is_ a foul in the International Federation rulebook, wherein it is
defined as rotating the player by more than 360 degrees, either before or
after striking the ball (but not both). Which came as a relief, as others
claimed that my technique of using the palm of my hand (not the wrist) was a
"spinning foul". Not so!

But the term "foosball" is a new one for me, reminds me of one of my regular
foosball team mates, mother tongue Serbo-Croat (as we could call it then).
He hadn't quite got the knack of pronouncing a certain English profanity,
the distinction between C pronounced as S and C pronounced as K had escaped
him. It took a while to realise why, on failing to score, he would always
exclaim "foosk".

That was a long time ago.

Piers