Re: [OM] Help an ignorant urbanite [was And a couple more - Bales]

Subject: Re: [OM] Help an ignorant urbanite [was And a couple more - Bales]
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 16:32:27 -0500
With our very small farm here (64 acres) in York, SC, we raise hay on three
different pastures.  Another farmer comes with the equipment to cut, stir,
and bale the hay twice a year.  We split the bales with him.  Last year we
baled just over 600 square bales, twice a year.  He uses his hay to feed
his horses.  We store ours in the barn until the horse owners around here
run out of their own hay and then Tom sells it on Craig's List for about $5
a bale.  Our hay is all organic and has never been sprayed.  We have no
foxtails, which horse people hate.  The horses seem to like our hay.  Tom
usually sells all but a few bales which I use in the chicken house and
garden.  We don't have any straw so I don't know about that except that
they sell it at Lowes for mulch maybe?  The fields need bushhogging right
now - lots of broadleaf weeds - but Tom has to work on the tractor first.

To transfer this thread to photography, here is my take on the hay harvest.
 I drive the truck while the guys load the hay:

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/135404269

C&C greatly appreciated.

Tina

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/7/2013 4:39 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> > My BIL's cattle operation goes through two to three rounds per day
> > plus additional feed. His goal is to always have a full year of
> > carryover. Last year, we had the drought and the year before, Texas
> > did. Between hay sales to Texas and last year's drought, most Iowa
> > operations fully depleted their carryover reserves and had to resort
> > to other sources.
>
> U to here in this pp, we are talking straw, correct?
>
> > It got a little tricky around here and hay thefts were a daily
> occurrence.
>
> Hay, or straw, or both?
>
> Partially Enlightened Moose
>
> --