Re: [OM] B&W and War

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W and War
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 09:06:44 -0500
On Dec 5, 2013, at 3:37 PM, John Hudson wrote:

> The image at 2 mins 13 secs marked the beginning of the irreversible end of
> the US adventure in Vietnam.

RANT ALERT

Nothing personal, John, but it wasn't an adventure. It was a goddamn military,
diplomatic and cultural tragedy of epic proportions, both for the United States
and its allies, and particularly for the Vietnamese. Sixty thousand of my
brothers and eight of my sisters died in the war. Guestimates suggest upwards
of two million Vietnamese died. For what? Let me refresh our memories: NOTHING.
Not a goddamn thing.

Vietnam was many things. It _was not_ an adventure. Sadly, tragically, the
non-adventure continues.

As for the BBC report, IMO, it was fatuous, without merit or meaning. Nothing
new reported. No new light shed on photography. Just war porn.

END OF RANT

--Bob Whitmire