[OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?

Subject: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 19:41:37 -0500 (EST)
PK writes:
>>>The E-M5 viewfinder lag is an issue.

Hmmm, EM-1 EVF lag advertised as 29ms ,IIRC, --should be plenty fast
enough for many purposes and much less than human
rxn time if anti vibe mode not engaged.

I love my I-Max OVF on OM's but EVFs are getting quite good. Focus
peaking, Zebra mode based on Raw data should be very useful and the
gain can be turned up to enable accurate focusing of OMZ lenses in very
dim light. Perhaps something like Magic Lantern can be ported to the
new FF Sony models as the firmware should be easily available to
developers with no hacking required.

I have disappointingly not seen any formal comparsion of SS on the EM-1
vs E-M5. SS depends on many variables including the cam mass,
lenses used with resonant frequencies, etc. Checking MTF of various
lenses at different shutter speeds seems a good way to do it. Some
lenses seem especially prone to it especially if have OIS elements than
can shake or light/long ones. I emailed Castleman on a lark (see below
) to see if he had tested the EM-5 but no luck with a response. The
testing sites need to pay more attention to this issue. An EFC that
takes 1/10 sec to clear the data is not a perfect answer either. Moose
hasn't given the GX-7 an official MSOA yet, but it seems close.

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/pz14-42/index.htm

As you can see the PZ 14-42 is quite good on the OMZ and had a bad rap
due to shutter shock on the Panny bodies.   Moose was able to snare one
for a good price.

Shocked about no SS analysis, Mike