Re: [OM] OT: Significant WWII Naval History

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Significant WWII Naval History
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 08:31:33 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      I know we have a number of aviation history buffs on this list, and
>> here is something significant which borders on aviation that I caught on
>> the CBS online news:
>>

>> http://www.cbsnews.com/news/world-war-ii-era-japanese-sub-discovered-off-hawaii-coast/
>>
>>      These Japanese submarines were immense, the largest ever made until
>> the Ethan Allen.  Look them up on Google and Wikipedia and be prepared for
>> a stunning surprise.
>>

>I saw that story yesterday or Tuesday.  Very cool.  Keep hoping that one of
>the sites would publish some sort of photo of the wreck, though...

     If you look on Google (use "japanese submarine I-400") you'll get a hit
that is lots of photos, and there are some of the wreck in there.  It's amazing
to see how large these were, half the length of the Titanic.  One photo shows
the three subs at a Pearl Harbor pier next to an attack submarine.  It looks
toyish in comparison.

Chris