Re: [OM] Florence cathedral - Optical illusion?

Subject: Re: [OM] Florence cathedral - Optical illusion?
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 13:23:11 +0000
On 27 November 2013 12:30, Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Philipe
> When I look at this picture MY eyes suggest to ME that there is a deep
> pit in the middle of the cathedral floor and that some of the pews are
> falling down the side.   This is the effect that I referred to -
> originally I had thought the photograph was one of Tina's.

This reminds me that on the island of Gozo (part of the Malta archipelago
and easily accessible by ferry from the main island) there is a church
which uses an optical illusion to give the appearance of having a dome,
which it does not.  Worth a look at if anyone's travelling that way. Given
the dearth of images a quick googling found for it, I suspect they might be
clamping down on photography though. :(

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer