Re: [OM] PShop CC offer

Subject: Re: [OM] PShop CC offer
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 15:52:51 -0800
On 11/24/2013 12:24 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Here's a link to the interface screen for the PSP Pro X6 raw file
> editor.  As you can see, it's a bit primitive relative to PSCS6 and
> their "Ultimate" version doesn't offer any more function on raw files.
> <http://www.corel.com/static/product_content/psp/x6/features/screenshots/RAWImageProcessing_lg_PSPX6.jpg>

Corel offers only rudimentary Raw conversion in PSP. They have far greater
capabilities in a separate application, After
Shot Pro. Offering full Raw conversion and full editing in separate programs
allows them to appear to be less expensive
than they are for full functionality. When comparing them to PS, which includes
full ACR, as well as Bridge, which is
more capable than the viewer function in PSP, one should include the cost of
both.

For reasons that are obscure to me, I seem to have a registered copy. Just
updated it. It will handle E-M5 files, but
not yet those from the GX7. It has many controls, more or less like ACR. The NR
says it's Noise Ninja Standard.

Lens Correction has profiles for µ4/3 lenses. Unlike ACR, it allow one to use
them or not and, if one is using one, to
make manual adjustments to it. I've not compared the results to ACR, but assume
they both use data from the lens? Having
recently found occasion to apply further correction in PS to an ORF file
processed in ACR, that's interesting.

> On the other hand it does cover most of the important basics.

Assuming it does apply default dens corrections, it looks like enough for one
who does most work in the editor proper.
It doesn't have CA correction, which After Shot does have, and Oly doesn't do
that automatically.

One thing to check out is how well highlight recovery works. ACR is quite good
at that crucial function.

OTOH, for those used to doing most work in ACR, and only dipping into PS
occasionally, or used to LR, After Shot Pro may
be the better app.

Applied Moose