Re: [OM] Paul's Excellent Adventure - a few more up

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's Excellent Adventure - a few more up
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 23:36:41 -0700
> The top two in this gallery are for Ken:

Ah....

But I still prefer my digital non-linear system.

However,

Now, we're talking. THIS is the mixer to have. Screw digital boards.
I'll put up with the inconveniences of analog to get those preamps and
EQs. I did some work on a Trident board back in 1985 and it's been
downhill ever since. In the '90s, I worked with a company in the UK
that made digital editors. One evening, we had a little too much adult
beverage and decided to try and mimic the Trident's EQ section. Two
years later, we got closer than anybody else ever came, but it still
wasn't quite there. As one of three people who wrote the code for that
EQ, I'll say that the complexity is something incredible. We literally
had to tear the real thing apart to see how to do it in software. The
problem was that the algorithm was so complex and powerful that it was
too much of a resource hog and you could only run it on a small
handful of channels before the system just wheezed itself to death.
You have a combination of compression, phase shift (in a direction
you'd least expect), harmonics and other forms of sonic filtering. It
is wild stuff

If I had lazy money lurking around, I'd pick up the biggest TOFT I
could get and just mix acts with it. OH, BTW, a very smart product
decision. You can buy just the EQs.

For those who have no clue what all this is about, the Equalizer
section in a Trident/Toft mixer is unique. Let's say you need to lift
the high frequencies a little. With most EQs, the adjustment tends to
just make the sound tinnier. With a classic "British EQ" it enhances
the sound without really making it any louder. In a way, it's like LCE
for images. You can add air or clarity to the mix without throwing
your levels into an uproar. Trident/Toft EQ is what defined this sound
and it does it better than anything else out there. Although, Allen &
Heath has done the best job of any. Their analog boards come close and
I know who wrote the software for the digital boards.

On a positive note, I'm mixing/recording again. Like Paul, my primary
desk says "Yamaha" on it. It has positively the worst EQ section ever
made. Fortunately, I've got a WAVES plug-in board. I've got a really,
really good EQ section in that, which also does a remarkable job of
coming close to the right sound. (whistling NDAs)

AG Ears